Tregenna Castle Hotel
Tregenna Castle Hotel began in 1774 as a 12 bedroom family house. In 1871 it was expanded and converted to become a railway hotel for the Great Western Railway. It sits outside St Ives and is surrounded by gardens and a golf course. The main hotel has a spectacular view to the north of the sea and the harbour of St Ives. In June 2021 the hotel hosted world leaders attending the G7 Conference.
The owners commissioned us to reassess the hotel and gave us a brief of demolishing a post-war wing and creating a number of two-bedroom individual houses that would be self-catered. We developed two models; a three-storey tower with entrance at the middle level, living space and kitchen on the top floor and bedrooms on the lower floors; and a single-storey two-bedroom flat looking north with a garden on the roof. These types were interspersed and placed in four terraces looking north down an existing slope. The resultant composition allows every house to see the view and together they appear to form a hillside village.
The project was never submitted for planning permission.