A £110m mixed-use scheme in the Merchant City in Glasgow, comprising housing, commercial space, a hotel and new public space
The (1.49ha) Candleriggs Quarter site occupies most of an urban block of Glasgow’s Merchant City and has lain derelict since the closure of the Goldbergs store in 1999. Situated between George Square and the Glasgow Cross, the site was partly cleared of buildings in an area tidy up for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, and post-Games part of the site has been used for a pop-up restaurant.
The development proposes a mix of residential uses above a ground floor of retail, food and drink, and commercial arranged around extensive new public realm and is seen by many as one of the last pieces of the Merchant City regeneration jigsaw.
The proposed mixed-use regeneration scheme contains:
- 135 private for sale apartments to the north east corner (Wilson Street/Candleriggs) of the site with entrances off Wilson Street and the new public square
- 377 private for rent apartments along Candleriggs and to Trongate with a singular entrance off the south east corner of the square helping enliven the new public space
- 124-room boutique hotel facing onto the public square with ground floor entrances on both Candleriggs and the square
- 597 bed student accommodation block to the west of the site fronting Hutcheson Street and the square
- Circa 5,300m2 of ground floor ‘high street’ and ‘food and beverage retail to Trongate, Candleriggs, Wilson Street and the public square. The units vary in size and cater for some of the smaller local niche retailers as well as the well-known high street brands
- Circa 3,300m2 of ground floor public spaces including a new central square “Brunswick Place”, a new diagonal South West – North East route connecting Argyle Street/Trongate through to Merchant Square and City Halls and a new South East route opposite the pedestrian lane New Wynd to the square
A planning application was submitted in February 2015 following nine months of detailed pre-application discussions with Glasgow City Council and local stakeholders.
|Architects||Richard Murphy, Bill Black, Sonia Browse|
|Structural Engineers||Curtins Consulting|
|M&E Cinsultant||Cundall Johnston & Partners LLP|
|4th March 2015||Phased Trongate masterplan won't get underway till Autumn 2016||Urban Realm|
|3rd March 2015||Richard Murphy reveals £110m Glasgow mixed-use scheme||Architects Journal|
|3rd March 2015||Richard Murphy draws up Glasgow mixed-use plan||Building Design|
|27th February 2015||Revealed: former Selfridges site to get a £110m rejuvenation||The Evening Times|
|27th February 2015||Glasgow's Merchant City on the up with Candleriggs Quarter plan||Urban Realm|
|5th September 2014||Candleriggs Quarter consultation showcases development ambition||Urban Realm|
|5th September 2014||Plans for £100m Merchant City development go on public display||STV News|