We were invited by the Biggar Theatre Workshop to make a feasibility study to upgrade theatre facilities already existing within this converted 1861 Grade B listed building. The building sits prominently on the main street of this small Lanarkshire Town but also has a side elevation to a minor road to the east where are found substantial public toilets in a semi basement accessed independently. There is a small section of disused ground to the south sites between the Hall and an adjacent house. The proposal kept the theatre in the main hall but reversed it so that actors’ accommodation can be immediately behind the stage along with a stage cross over. On the top floor were proposed a meeting room with the semi basement converted into a foyer cafe and the theatres toilets cable of being screened from the main foyer so that they could double as public toilets when the theatre was not open.
The main architectural move was to move the main elevation and entrance from the front to the side. The existing front entrance stairs were replaced by downwards stairs to a secondary entrance to the foyer. Along the new elevation a new glazed route was constructed to the theatre from the foyer forming a porch to the new entrance below. A lift was installed and the entire building became accessible. A garden was proposed on the south side with immediate access to the proposed cafe foyer.
The project has been abandoned.
|Client||St Andrews University|